Web Analytics – Track Your Progress
An important part of your ability to make your website or blog a success is having metrics by which to measure yourself against. There are numerous sets out there that allow you to do this. Some may or may not be better than others. In my opinion that is not important. What is important is that you find one you like and stick with it. That way each time you check out a report and compare it against your past results you are comparing apples with apples. The important thing is that you see growth in the numbers.
I use two analytics programs. Both kick back slightly different results. One, is Google Analytics. The second is AWstats, which is installed on my server by my hosting company. It is comparatively standard across all hosting companies. I will dicuss the features of the Google solution in the future.
AWstats uses the server logs to put together its data for you.
AWStats will show you the following information:
* Number of visits, and number of rare visitors,
* Visits duration and last visits,
* Authenticated users, and last authenticated visits,
* Days of week and rush hours (pages, hits, KB for each hour and day of week),
* Domains/countries of hosts visitors (pages, hits, KB, 269 domains/countries detected, GeoIp detection),
* Hosts list, last visits and unresolved IP addresses list,
* Most viewed, entry and exit pages,
* Files kind,
* Web compression statistics (for mod_gzip or mod_deflate),
* OS used (pages, hits, KB for each OS, 35 OS detected),
* Browsers used (pages, hits, KB for each browser, each version (Web, Wap, Media browsers: 97 browsers, more than 450 if using browsers_phone.pm library file),
* Visits of robots (319 robots detected),
* Worms attacks (5 worm’s families),
* Search engines, keyphrases and keywords used to find your site (The 115 most famous search engines are detected like yahoo, google, altavista, etc…),
* HTTP errors (Page Not Found with last referrer, …),
* Other personalized reports based on url, url parameters, referer field for miscellaneous/marketing purpose,
* Number of times your site is “additional to favourites bookmarks”.
* Screen size (need to add some HTML tags in index page).
* Ratio of Browsers with sustain of: Java, Flash, RealG2 reader, Quicktime reader, WMA reader, PDF reader (need to add some HTML tags in index page).
* Cluster report for load balanced servers ratio.