Exporting Links in WordPress – Transferring Links to a New Website
I wanted to use a plugin to move all my links from one WordPress website to another website but could not find a one click solution anywhere. Although not completely perfect I managed to get things moving using this method.
Follow these steps to export links from one WordPress website to another.
- On your new website go into WordPress admin panel and select Links>Link Categories.
- Use the Add Link Category to create a new category, use something like imported links from xxx for the Link Category name and imported-links-xxx for the Link Category slug, when done click on the Add Category button underneath.
- On your new website now go into WordPress admin panel and select Tools>Import, from the list you need to click on Blogroll which does the following:-Install the blogroll importer to import links in OPML format. This will install a plugin called OPML Importer which at time of writing is version 0.2. Activate this plugin if it does not do so automatically.
- Now when you go into WordPress admin panel and select Tools>Import and click on Blogroll again you will be greeted with the Import your blogroll from another system. Fill in the http:// box with http://www.youroldwebsite.co.uk/wp-links-opml.php and from the Category: drop down box you need to select the new category you produced in step 2. Finally, click on the Import OPML File button and you have exported all the links from your old WordPress website to your new WordPress website.
- Unfortunately you do now need to sort all these imported links into existing categories or create new categories to link the imported links to. Which you can do in Links>links,at the top of the Links page select the imported links from xxx category from the drop-down View all Categories box and hit the Filter button.